Bonjour! Today I’m bringing you an onion soup recipe, perfect for winter. This soup has become part of our Christmas tradition.
It’s a very economical recipe and quite easy to prepare. You need to be patient though when cooking the onions – they need time and a low heat. However, the wait is worthy. This recipe is my take on Julia Child’s onion soup recipe. As always, we have to make to modifications on our family, no gluten and no diary. We didn’t really find any vegan cheese that we liked for this soup, so we are doing it without cheese. To add more flavour, I’m adding some garlic to the baguette.
- 750 gr onions
- 750 ml broth (veggie, beef, chicken depending on your preferences)
- A Baguette (We like this one by Schär)
- Half glass of dry wine
- half glass of cognac
- 1tsp salt
- a pinch of ground sage
- 3 tbsp. of flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
Step by step
- Add the coconut and olive oil to a pot on medium-low heat.
- Slowly add the sliced onions and stir them for about 20 minutes until they become translucent.
- Increase the temperature to medium or high heat and add the sugar and salt. Don’t forget to keep stirring until they are brown.
- To brown or caramelize the onions turn heat under pot to medium or medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and add the flour. Once it’s brown add the broth, gently scrape the bottom.
- After a couple of minutes add the wine, cognac, sage and bay leaf. Salt and pepper.
- Let the soup simmer for half hour.
- For the garlicy bread.
- Slice the baguettes while the oven preheats at 200 C.
- Drizzle the bread slices with a bit of olive oil and place on baking sheet.
- Cook the slices for 10 minutes on each side (20 minutes total).
- Sprinkle the bread with garlic powder, nutritional yeast and dried parsley. You might need more olive oil. Let the bread broil for another 5 to 10 minutes (or until golden)
- Serve the soup on individual bowls.
- We are not fans of soggy bread, so we put the bread on a basket and we add it to the soup bowl as we eat it.
I hope you give it a try and that you like it us much as we do.